Building your own game:
Step 1: Come Up With an Idea
(if you choose a game that is already created, you must modify a major piece of the game to fit your own “original” game.)
Step 2: Rules and Purpose
Ask yourself questions like:
- How many players will there be?
- How long should the game be?
- What choices will the player make, and when will they make them?
- How will the player make these choices?
- How will one player’s choice impact the other players?
- How will the players interact with each other?
- Are there any choices that can be made by one player, but not by the others?
- How does the game progress? Is it strictly turn-based, or is it in rounds with phases?
- What actions will the player be able to take?
- How will the outcome of an action be determined?
- What is the player’s goal?
- How can the player win?
Even if you don’t know all the answers yet, you may find that keeping the questions in mind while working will lead you to the answers.
Step 3: Develop content and Pieces needed
Step 4: Simplify
Step 5: Designing and Building Your Prototype
Step 6: Print your board layout, Pieces and instructions on a 11×17 page
Classic Board Games or Family Games